I don’t talk a lot about my personal life on this blog, but starting today, I’m going to change that a little bit. Here is my first “5 things” post!
- A few weeks ago I ordered 6 Zoya nail polishes during their New Year’s promotion, which I’m incredibly excited about. After lots of struggling to be patient, on Monday, they finally shipped!!! The promotion included 3 exclusive mini polishes, and I’m very excited to see what they are.
- In my acting class we had to choose a short monologue to learn, and I had great trouble picking just one! I finally settled on a speech by the Ninth Doctor, from the very first episode of his season: “The world is spinning…and I can feel it.” You can listen to it here.
- Mini drugstore haul! I went with the intention of just getting a quick-dry topcoat, but when I saw the cuticle remover cream I couldn’t resist getting it to test out. And then Wet n Wild cosmetics were 40% off, and so I ended up grabbing two nail polishes and two eyeliners as well. The polishes are pretty wonderful (I’m wearing all of them now), and I’m excited to try out the brown and purple eyeliners over the weekend.
- I went downhill skiing last weekend, and it was beautiful. I’d forgotten how much fun downhill was, since I usually go Nordic skiing.
- I’ve been drinking a lot of tea (as always), and this week I finally broke into some Italian grocery store tea that I’ve been saving. It’s nothing too special on it’s own merits, but it makes me nostalgic for Florence.
So, that’s it for this week! What were the best parts of your week?
For those of you not familiar with sample choice, it’s a program that began last August where Birchbox subscribers have the option to select a sample to be included in next month’s box. Each month 3-4 samples are revealed and the sample you pick will replace one of your traditional 5 samples. This month, Birchbox subscribers have the chance to choose from 3 samples, or select a box curated by a guest editor. This is a comparison of those options based on research I’ve done using other blogs and my own calculations. This month I’ve taken all of my images as screenshots from the official Birchbox video.
First, the three sample options. Last month these were all lotions, so I’m glad to see some variety again! The three sample choice options are all completely new samples, which I’m also definitely excited about.
Storytime: Back in December my uncle wanted to buy me some perfume, but since smell is such a particular thing, he took me with him to pick it out. The trip was unexpected, and so I hadn’t given any thought to what I might want. We ended up going to Macy’s, which has a lovely perfume counter. An employee took us in and gave us the complete tour, taking the time to figure out what I might like and letting me smell pretty much every perfume they have. I ended up indecisive between two perfumes, one by Chloé and Daisy Dream by Marc Jacobs. It was only after I had selected the Chloé fragrance that I learned it was brand new, just released last September. Another perk of shopping at Macy’s: since I had loved Daisy Dream so much, our tour guide threw in a rollerball of it for free with our purchase! Along with a mini of the new Bottega Veneta perfume and a sample of J’Adore by Dior.
I fell in love with Chloé Love Story because it somehow manages to smell both lightly floral and deeply sexy. The main note is orange blossom, with jasmine at the heart and cedar as the grounding note. I think orange blossom is a pretty unique choice to focus on — I certainly own nothing else like this. The smell isn’t quite as long-lived as I would like, and I find that I have to refresh it about halfway through the day. However, it’s so amazing of a fragrance that I don’t mind at all. I can imagine myself wearing this throughout the year, this single scent carrying me through both night and day of every single season.
Welcome to my first empties post! In case you’re new to the beauty blogging world, an empties post is where I gather up all of the products I’ve used up (“emptied”) in the past several months and write my final thoughts about them. I’ve thought quite a bit about how to organize this, but since this is my first one it’s still going to be a work in progress! This post is entirely skincare products, because that’s what I use the most of. And so…
2014 was the year that I got really into “beauty”: developing a skincare routine, exploring new brands and types of products, wearing makeup much more often, and starting this blog. I put beauty in quotes, because as we all know beauty is so much more than skin-deep. Part of the inspiration for this was spending the spring in Paris — surrounded by people caring about skincare, fashion, and otherwise looking good.
Since I just recently entered the beauty blogging world, I have made so many discoveries this year — new types of products, new brands, and new ways to apply makeup. Every month on this blog I’ve also been doing a “monthly favorites” list, and I’ve been trying hard not to repeat any products. Now, here come the repeats in this compilation of what I loved most about beauty in 2014.
I’ve spent most of December at home on break from school, and so all of my December favorites are products that I either had at home already or brought home for break, since being at school feels so long ago right now.